79 Devine Street, Suite 100, San Jose, CA 95110


San Jose Juvenile Diversion Lawyer

Alameda County juvenile crimes lawyer for diversion programs

Santa Clara County Criminal Law Attorney Assisting Minors With Diversion Programs

Navigating the criminal justice system can be a complex and confusing process. A criminal conviction can affect a person's life in many ways, and in some cases, simply being arrested can result in a permanent criminal record that may limit a person's future opportunities for employment and education. These issues can be especially troubling for minors who are accused of committing crimes, and those who become involved with the juvenile justice system may experience multiple types of consequences that can follow them into their adult lives. Fortunately, there are a number of diversion programs that are available to juveniles who are accused of committing crimes, and these programs may help them maintain a clean criminal record and achieve success in the future.

At Fuller Law Firm, we believe in helping minors address accusations of crimes or juvenile delinquency in positive ways that will allow them to move forward from their mistakes and avoid long-term or permanent consequences. We work with juveniles and their parents to determine the types of juvenile diversion programs that may be available. We can provide legal representation during proceedings in juvenile courts, request diversion when possible, and ensure that a minor meets all requirements that apply to them. Our goal is to help juveniles enter adulthood free and clear of issues that may affect the opportunities that are available to them.

Juvenile Diversion Programs in Santa Clara County

When minors are accused of committing criminal offenses, multiple types of diversion programs may be available. In some cases, law enforcement officers may choose to admonish a minor without formally charging them with an offense or initiating juvenile delinquency proceedings. However, if law enforcement believes that a minor has committed a delinquent act, officers may take them into temporary custody and determine the next steps that should be taken. Diversion programs may be available at this stage or after beginning juvenile court proceedings. These diversion programs may include:

  • Prevention and Early Intervention (PEI) - Juveniles who are considered low-level offenders may be able to informally resolve cases involving certain types of misdemeanor offenses without the requirement to proceed through the juvenile court system. A minor may receive assessment and referral to services that may help them prevent criminal activity in the future. This program will not be available if a child is accused of committing domestic violence, underage drinking or other alcohol-related crimes, or an offense in which they may be required to pay restitution of more than $1,000.
  • Deferred Entry of Judgment (DEJ) - First-time juvenile offenders charged with felony offenses may be able to participate in this program. They may need to complete certain requirements, such as attending school, going to counseling, performing community service, and paying restitution, and they may also be subject to restrictions such as curfews and regular drug tests. Upon completion of the program, a minor's case will be dismissed.
  • Probation - A minor may have the option of informal supervision, which may last for up to six months. The minor and their parents will be required to participate in counseling, and the minor may be placed in a residential facility for up to 90 days. Once the period of probation is completed successfully, the minor's juvenile records will be sealed.
  • Mental Health Court - Minors who have been diagnosed with mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or autism may have criminal charges addressed by a special court, allowing them to receive treatment and complete probation without the need to address their case through the standard juvenile justice process. This option is available for minors charged with property crimes or drug possession.
  • Drug Treatment Court - Minors who have drug addictions may qualify for this program, which will allow them to receive treatment and a delayed sentence. This program will last for one year, and if a minor completes all requirements, including attending school, passing drug tests, and going to "12-step" meetings, their charges will be dismissed. This program is not available for minors charged with sex crimes, violent crimes, or selling drugs worth more than $100.

Contact Our Gilroy Juvenile Diversion Program Attorney

If your child has been charged with a criminal offense, our firm can provide legal representation and help you determine what types of programs may be available that will help them avoid formal criminal charges or other issues that may affect their future. To learn how we can help you navigate the juvenile justice system successfully and make use of the diversion programs that may be available, contact us at 408-234-7563 and schedule a complimentary consultation. We serve clients in Palo Alto, Gilroy, Alameda County, Santa Clara County, San Jose, and Fremont.

Back to Top